Before joining Angler’s West on your guided flyfishing trip, please consider what you plan to bring for your day. It is up to the client to provide appropriate attire for his or her day on the water. When fishing with Angler’s West we include all necessary fishing equipment for the day including fly rod and reel, waders and boots, flies and tackle. If any clients need to purchase rain gear, warm layers, gloves or sun protection, we are a full-service retail shop and have top of the line products for sale.
On guided trips, we recommend that clients bring a personal bag to keep their belongings in. A daypack or small duffel that can stored easily is best.
Personal Equipment List
• Clothing: Extra layers! Always plan for the worst. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! Lightweight, quick-dry clothing will serve you best on a hot day on the river. We highly recommend avoiding cotton when possible.
• Rain gear: Afternoon thunderstorms with the possibility of hail are not uncommon in the summer time. Be prepared! We always recommend having a rain jacket stashed along for you trip.
• SPF protective clothing: Too much sun exposure can ruin your day on the water in a hurry. Dress appropriately to stay cool and protected from the sun! We have a ton of great SPF rated clothing for sale in the shop if you don’t have any.
• Sunglasses: A proper pair of polarized sunglasses will not only protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful rays, but also errant hooks. Ask your guide what one of his/her most essential pieces of equipment is. Eye protection is MANDATORY!
• Baseball caps or wide brimmed sun hat
• Sun block and lip balm: Be sure to apply it before your trip and throughout the day!
• Wading boots with a neoprene sock, Water Shoes or Sandals are top choices. We cannot guarantee that clients will be able to keep their feet dry on every trip. Shoes you are comfortable getting wet or dirty are recommended. Leave the loafers and boots at home!
Fishing Equipment List
• Fly rods: We recommend that clients bring 9 ft medium to fast action fly rods in the 5-6wt range for our float trips. For walk/wade trips to the spring creeks we recommend 8.5-9 ft medium to fast action rods in the 4-5wt range. Similarly, in Yellowstone National Park we recommend 8.5-9 ft fly rods in the 4-6wt range.
• Fly reels: Click & pawl and disc drag reels are recommended for our fishing trips. Be sure to have an appropriate weight forward (WF) floating line to match your rod weight. We always recommend that clients clean their lines prior to your trip and add a fresh leader to their lines. Your guides will appreciate it! If you like to fish streamers or wet flies, bringing your own sinking line to match your fly rod is a good idea.
• Waders & boots: We typically do not recommend waders and boots for our float trips during the summer months. If you plan to bring waders, please be sure to remove all studs from your boots. We do recommend waders and boots for our trips to the spring creeks, even in the summer time. For trips into Yellowstone National Park, felt soled boots are PROHIBITED and subject to a fine. Rubber sole wading boots in place of felt are best.
• Flies: Our guides will provide all flies necessary for your day of fishing. If you would like to bring your own, please call us at the shop and we can let you know the best patterns for the time of year and location.